Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Lick of Frost by Laurell K Hamilton EXPLICIT

Meredith Gentry is a modern days fairy princess.
There was a sound from the mirror, almost a clanging of swords. I glanced at the clock. "We are expecting a call from Kurage, Goblin King," I said.
"You have call waiting on your mirror?" she said.
I nodded.
"I've never heard of such a thing. Who did the spell?"
As befitting her half-fairie, half-human lineage, Merry's life integrates the two worlds.
"May I suggest that we get some cold metal for the rest of you to carry?"
"Cold metal?" Nelson made it a question.
"I think some of the office supplies of this fine law firm might just help the rest of you have clear vision when we deal with the King Taranis."
"Office supplies," Cortez said. "You mean like paper clips?"
"Maybe," Veducci said. He turned to me. "What do you think, Princess, would a paper clip be helpful?"
As with other stories of royalty, A Lick of Frost by Laurell K Hamilton centers around the succession of King and Queens and political intrigue. I was reminded ot Stars Wars, Episode I.

In the opening conflict, King Taranis accuses Princess Meredith's guards of rape - in human court no less. Ultimately, they are cleared when the Princess explains that she has sex with her guards on average three times a day with two to four in each session, so they are all well satisfied and have no reason to rape anyone. Ignoring the bizarre notion that men who do not have sex twice a week should be suspected of rape, this sets the stage for this modern fantasy of sex and politics.

While most of the story centers on succession plots, potential plots, imagined plots, and discussions of the suspected plotters, sex is not ignored. As might be expected by the heroine's rape defense, she has her share of satisfying sex. This is a brief extract from a much longer scene:
The rhythm of his body changed, grew more urgent, and it was too much. I could not watch his eyes while his body ran through mine.
I finished the book with similar feelings to those after Star Wars, Episode I: neither the characters nor the politics held my interest. However, if you liked one, you might certainly check out the other.


No comments: