Saturday, August 3, 2024

What You Are Looking for Is in the Library by Michiko Aoyama *****

 What You Are Looking for Is in the Library by Michiko Aoyama tells the stories of five characters—all dissatisfied with their lives. Tomoka, 21, is a women’s wear sales assistant. Ryo, 35, is an accountant at a furniture manufacturer. Natsumi, 40, is a former magazine editor. Hiroya, 30, is a NEET-not in employment, education, or training. Masao, 65, recently retired. In each case, they visit Librarian Ms. Komachi, and she asks, “What are you looking for?” In response, she offers several books related to their query, one other book, and a felted object (frying pan, crab, airplane, …). They consider the books and the bonus gift and learn how to live and improve their lives. A pleasant self-help book disguised as a novel.

In each case, the character is at a transition point. Tomoka and Hiroya have graduated without a clear idea of where to go next. Ryo’s job has become routine and unsatisfying. Natsumi has returned from maternity leave to learn that she has been sidelined. Masao has just retired. In each case, their quest for answers leads them to the local library. The librarian answers their question but also points them in a surprising direction. As they struggle to understand the librarian’s advice, they learn a new truth about life and a way forward.

Tomoka found the courage to try something new. It’s time for computer class, so I head for the meeting room. I think that I might be just entering the forest. I still don’t know what I want to do, or what I can do. What I do know is that there’s no need to panic, or do more than I can cope with right now. For the time being, I plan to simply get my life in order and learn some new skills, choosing from what’s available. I’ll prepare myself, like Guri and Gura gathering chestnuts in the forest. Because I never know when I might find my own giant egg.

Ryo learned to turn “one day,” into “tomorrow.” Everybody is connected. And any one of their connections could be the start of a network that branches in many directions. If you wait for the right time to make connections, it might never happen, but if you show your face around, talk to people and see enough to give you the confidence that things could work out, then ‘one day’ might turn into ‘tomorrow.’

Trust makes the world go round. “Ryo, dear, have you ever thought about what makes the world go round?” “Er...er, love, I guess.” “Oh, that’s priceless!” she cries. “You never cease to amaze me, Ryo, but that’s what I love about you. I believe it is trust,” she adds.

Being born is the most difficult thing we have to do. Ms. Komachi turned toward her computer. “You were the same. Being born is probably the most difficult thing we ever have to do. I am convinced that everything else that comes afterward is nowhere near as hard. If you can survive the ordeal of being born, you can get through anything.”

My plan is to appreciate every new day. And take a wide view of things.

Check out https://amazon.com/shop/influencer-20171115075 for Omega Cats Press books and book recommendations. 

No comments: