Monday, March 30, 2020

Lager Queen of Minnesota by J Ryan Stradal *****

Excellent book about sisters Edith and Helen, and beer. I have no interest in beer.
“I’m making a pie,” Helen said, closing the refrigerator door.
“I can see that,” her mother nodded. “That’s what Edith does. You can do something else.”
“Yeah, but I think I can do it even better than Edith.”
“I know you could. But then you’ll make it into a competition, and it won’t be fun for her anymore. So, get on out of here.”
So it was. Helen succeeded at everything she attempted, while Edith made pies and tried to be useful.

Edith married a truck driver, had two children, and one grandchild. When her husband Stanley couldn’t work, she took a job in the kitchen of a senior citizen home to make ends meet. When her daughter and son-in-law died in an accident, she raised her granddaughter Diana. Edith never complained or spoke ill of anyone.

Helen loved beer, from her very first underaged taste. Why she didn’t become an alcoholic is never explained. She went to college and studied chemistry. She married Orval Blotz whose family owned a defunct brewery. In a plot twist reminiscent of Jacob and Esau, Helen took her sister Edith’s inheritance to resurrect the Blotz brewery. She is wildly successful and creates one of the most popular beers in Minnesota. After she took Edith’s inheritance, she never found an occasion to make amends or even speak to Edith. The two sisters were estranged for over fifty years.

Against a background of Minnesota and a midwestern work ethic, the story is about women: sisters, daughters, mothers, and grandmothers. It is also about beer.

My personal beer story: When I was young, I got into my head that I should learn to drink beer. I bought a six-pack and committed to drinking one every day so I could learn to like it. I didn’t finish the six-pack and never learned to like beer. I quit drinking it. This book has more details about brewing beer than I ever wanted. 

Some of the women are entrepreneurs and businesswomen. Others are minimum wage working women. A few are educated. Mostly they are good friends and hard workers. The heroes of this tale are this latter group.

Aheart-warming story of working hard and being useful. Just what’s needed in the chaotic world of 2020. #strongwomen

No comments: