Sunday, December 16, 2018

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell *****

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell is a historical novel of a native girl, Karana, stranded on a Channel Island 1835-1853. This is read by fourth graders in California. The book includes death and disasters, native American crafts, and friendly animals. Throughout this, Karana has a peaceful and optimistic attitude.

Death and disasters

The story opens with otter hunters visiting the island and killing Karana’s father and most of the able men. The tribe emigrates to the mainland, but Karana and her brother are left behind.  Her brother is killed by wild dogs. Her island is hit by an earthquake and tsunami.

Native American crafts

Karana builds several canoes, a shelter using whale bones, spears using sea elephant teeth, bows and arrows, a skirt of cormorant feathers, baskets, cooking pots, and candles from small fish. She eats seeds, fish, roots, and abalone.

Friendly Animals

She tames two wild dogs, four birds, a fox, and an otter. Her pattern is to first treat animals as resources or threats and later to befriend them. By the end, all the mammals and birds are considered friends.

Gender Roles

Karana was very clear about gender roles (“The laws of Ghalas-at forbade the making of weapons by women”), but she broke all these taboos in order to survive. However, she remains feminine to the end. When she is rescued (18 years later), she prepares…
“I…bathed in the spring and put on my otter cape and my cormorant skirt. I put on my necklace of black stones and the black earrings…Below the mark of our tribe (on my face) I carefully made the sign which meant I was unmarried.”
 She was very clever. “I heard a shout…The men he left…did not answer, nor did the men on the ship, so I was sure that he was calling me.”

If you are interested in a pleasant history of Californian natives, this the perfect read.

Check out https://amazon.com/shop/influencer-20171115075 for book recommendations.

No comments: