Sunday, October 8, 2023

Queen Anne's Lace by Susan Wittig Albert ****

Queen Anne's Lace by Susan Wittig Albert tells the 19th-century story of Annie Duncan Hunt and the contemporary ghost story of how China Bayles uncovers Annie’s story. The author’s goal was to write “the history of women’s use of herbal contraceptives and abortifacients.” Queen Anne’s Lace or wild carrot (a herbal contraceptive and abortifacient) played a central role in this book. The contemporary subplot was about show chickens (Blackheart [Ayam Cemani rooster], and Caitie’s Extra Crispy [Cubalaya rooster]). The 19th-century subplot was about lacemaking. A pleasant and educational read.

Both storylines take place in the house Annie’s first husband built at 304 Crockett Street in Pecan Springs.

The ghost is unambiguous. She rings bells, hums, sings, makes appearances, and even posts notes on the bulletin board. There is nothing scary about this ghost.

The is set in Texas, so China Bayles shot someone in self-defense. “Using the Chevy as cover, I crept forward until I could see Gibbons, now advancing cautiously, raising the rifle to fire again, his gaze fixed on his target: the cop on the ground. I stood up, locked the shotgun tight against my shoulder, and aimed, just as Gibbons caught sight of me and swung his gun around. Without a word, I pulled the trigger. The Remington blasted, and Gibbons flew backward. Ears ringing, I chambered another shell, hard and fast, and aimed again. Gibbons was flat on his back. He was moving, so I knew he wasn’t dead.”

“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”

Check out https://amzn.to/2SpaDMN to see my books.

Check out https://amazon.com/shop/influencer-20171115075 for book recommendations. 

No comments: