Monday, November 10, 2014

There Were Many Horses by Luiz Ruffato **

There Were Many Horses by Luiz Ruffato is an experimental literary novel of life in Sao Paulo Brazil. It consists of 68 observations of city life on a "typical day." The style of these observations might be in a familiar narrative form, but might also be lists, dialogues, or blank verse. Even the traditional narrative might be interrupted with long enumerations.

Each of the individual observation is interesting in itself , though some required more effort to process than others. However, I found I was not able to see the whole picture. I would have preferred this book as a movie where the director could blend and integrated the scenes with visual cues and music.

This is an English translation of a Portuguese work, but still as the observation were of Sao Paulo, I frequently felt I was missing to local cultural references, which were necessarily used throughout.
The interview's at 2 p.m., corner of Ipiranga and Consolacao, There's time, so be browses the store at the Rock Gallery, some wicked stuff, a temptation, but not a cent in his pocket, except the bus fare home, a bummer, so he spills back out, Conselheiro Xavier do Toledo, Braulio Gomes, Dom Jose Gasper Square, Sao Luis and Ipirange Avenues.
Over all, I felt something was lost in the translation from Brazilian culture to mine.

I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway on October 10, 2014. I received my copy on October 14, 2014.

No comments: