Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Stench of Honolulu by Jack Handey **

Sometimes I read a book that was written for someone else. This is one of those situations. The Stench of Honolulu by Jack Handey is a story of one-liners
I ... came to souvenir shop. I don't think I would have even noticed it except for the big neon sign that said, Souvenirs! Curios!
Some of the jokes were based on word play, while other were just violent and/or gross and/or absurd. I imagine many readers will enjoy this humor, but I did not.

The real question is who likes this stuff? Handey achieved fame on SNL in the short segments: "Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey." He received two Emmys for his SNL work, albeit simultaneously with around 20 others.

If you're a fan of Handey's work on SNL, you might love this book, otherwise pass.

Note this is called a novel, but novella is more accurate. It is printed on small pages, double spaced, in bold, but maybe that's another of the jokes.

I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway on July 9, 2013.

No comments: