Sunday, August 30, 2009

An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England by Brock Clarke **

An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England by Brock Clarke places the author in the small group of quirky writers of odd-comedy-cum-mysteries, full of word play, that defy classification such as: Jasper Fforde, Douglas Adams, and
Terry Pratchett. With this odd, vaguely-literary mystery, I am most reminded of Jasper Fforde. Here is a snippet from the Arsonist's Guide:
I knew from Mr. Frost that the birch was supposed to be the most New England of trees, and if that was so, then I couldn't help thinking that New England was a very bad idea.
Similarly, I found An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England also to be a bad idea. If you are a serious reader in search of a light diversion, I highly recommend any of Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next or Nursery Crime novels before exploring An Arsonist's Guide.

No comments: