Friday, December 26, 2008

Catsitters by James Wolcott

Catsitters by James Wolcott is a book of the fashion and feelings genre, unusually written by a male writer. The plot centers around a bachelor Johnny Downs and a single girl friend Darlene Ryder who gives him advice about his unsuccessful love life. I made it about 30% through the book before giving up.

Aside from the lack of compelling characters, the writer seems to have a checklist requiring some silly simile every third page, or even several on the same like a high school composition student.
After my shift, the hours lay like brisks.
When I read, my mind bounced of the page like a fly off a windscreen.
She was like Zorro with those highlighters, zip, zip, zip.
... her words clicking in my ears like dominos.
It was like entering a mineshaft, or an abandoned railroad car.
If you love similes, this is the book for you.

No comments: